In order to spread the word that it is possible to get large enterprises to support Open Source software I will present a case study on how leadership within the company I work for was swayed to support the Drupal Association and get more involved in the Open Source communities in which they live and work.
Expected Outcome: For the people in the audience to be confident that they too can create a proper business case for their company to support Open Source projects
This session will encourage the audience to create the business case for their company to contribute to Drupal. I will describe the business case I made, and journey I took to get my company to contribute and the models we are applying to open source.
- Recount the path I took to convince the company that it was the right thing to do
- Engineering Management
- Creating the Business Case (how to do so)
- Getting Alignment
- Corporate Communications
- The pitch to HR
- Tallent Acquisition
- IT Leadership Team
- The Open Source Participation model
- Support the organization
- Allow our developers to contribute
- Maintain a presence in the communities in and around our development centers
- The Open Source Initiative
- Publishing OpenSource Software
- Our lost github repository (tell the story)
- The Model
- Recounting the benefits for the company
Our Open Source initiative is still a work in progress, I hope inspire the confidence that with the proper business case they too can convince the company they work for to behave the same way. This is a charge to the audience to be Open Source Evangelists within their company.